Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Brownsville Sister's Keepers rock out at the Sista-2-Sista Youth Summit!!!

Last weekend the Brownsville Leadership Project’s Sister’s Keepers group attended the Sista-to-Sista Youth Summit at St. Francis College. Sister’s Keepers is  a leadership development group for young women focused on holistic empowerment for the mind, body, and soul. Group members participated in workshops, activities, and discussions focused on the theme “Be Great”.  The following is one group member’s reflections on the day. Please also enjoy a short video the group created documenting the day. 


Reflections on the Sista-to-Sista Youth Summit
On March 21, 2015, I was inspired to inspire in a place called “The Sista-To-Sista Youth Summit” in Brooklyn, New York. “I walked in there shy as ever and walked out feeling like a boss.” Is what I said after that amazing experience. In this program, I learned what a real sister is to you. I not only learned what a true sister is, but I learned what a true friend is. During the week after the conference, I found my confidence and a voice of mine that was hidden for years. When we were in the dance group, I felt shy and doubtful. However, I learned that dancing is not only moving to music- It’s about feeling confident and knowing that you are doing something right. I was inspired by the dance teacher and when I gave that speech, I inspired other girls to do the same as I learned. I felt so special. I felt like a queen who led a chain of inspiration. I was inspired by the dance teacher, then I inspired a group of beautiful young women and girls to inspire other phenomenal women. When I walked out of that building, I had a smile on my face and since then, I felt like I was on top of the world. I felt… Not Felt… I AM a leader.
-         Keyani Kearse-King



No comments:

Post a Comment